Sunday 14 July 2013

Learning about oxidation

Following the Christmas blow-out and in attempting to still (yes STILL) get back on track with my diet and fitness I've become interested in how the ratios of protein, carbs and fat can work for or against us.

This stemmed from me starting to do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred DVD - fantastic powerful 20minute workouts that I can fit in each morning, feel a muscle burn and walk away feeling like I had a good workout. She talks about her diet system so I did a bit of research and downloaded her app. It asks me to identify whether I'm a slow, balanced or fast oxidiser ... huh?

I found a questionnaire on CalorieCount.com (here) and believe I'm a balanced oxidiser (although throughout my years of unhealthy eating habits have been all three - and apparently that is possible according to Dr Wilson from www.drlwilson.com) where I found all sorts of interesting information about yang and yin balancing, meditation as well as oxidation. He recommends only ever assessing your oxidation level through scientific hair testing in proven laboratories. He also has a long list of quite controversial Don'ts for survival in the world. I figure following roughly the recommended balance may just help - it makes sense how a fast oxidizer that has too many fruits and sugar and carbs has these burn off too quickly to feel satisfied or steady, therefore experiencing crashes. Also that a slow oxidiser would feel sluggish and heavy with too much red meat and eggs that a fast oxidiser would benefit from. So my aim is to get balanced in my oxidation, hoping to curb my chocolate cravings.

Then there was the matter of figuring out the ideal protein, carb and fat ratios for my chosen calorie intake and that's when I came across www.SparkPeople.com and a forum discussion that lead me to one of my favourite websites (www.caloriesperhour.com) that assists with calculating ratios (in particular this link).

Carbs are 4 calories per gram
Protein is 4 calories per gram
Fats are 9 calories per gram

So for a daily intake of 1300 calories then the following ratios would apply:

Slow oxidizer (The ideal ratio for the slow oxidizer is 60% carbohydrates, 25% protein and 15% fat).
Think of those fruit smoothy and soup diets!
Carbs: 195g
Protein: 81g
Fat: 22g

Balanced oxidizer (The ideal ratio for the balanced oxidizers is 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 30% fat). Think 'The Zone' diet
Carbs: 130g
Protein: 98g
Fat: 43g

Fast oxidizer (the ideal ratio for fast oxidizers is 30% carbohydrates, 40% protein and 30% fat). Think 'The Atkins' diet
Carbs: 97.5g
Protein: 130g
Fat: 43g

Of course they need to be 'good' carbs and 'good' proteins.

The following download from www.TotalWeightLossCentre.com is helpful (click here)

Now for some mindful observation (meditation as done by Roy Masters recommended by Dr Wilson) to really tackle the emotional eating!


Still 'on track' - slowly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post any helpful tips or suggestions