Sunday 2 June 2013

Experimenting with different oat pancake toppings

Finding that my simple oat pancake is the most satisfying 200 calorie breakfast to help me last until my morning tea.

I mix a sachet of oat-so-simple (100cals) with 50mls of skimmed milk (19cals) on a flat plate and microwave for 1min 30secs.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying out different toppings ...

Blueberries (15 cals) cooked with the oats and milk mixture to make them burst out and be more jam like with couple of tablespoons of low fat vanilla yoghurt (25cals). Greek yoghurt good too!


Apple slices (just 37cals for quarter can!) and cinnamon:


Or apple slices with cream (wink):

A little maple syrup (teaspoon for 13 cals) fits within 200cal limit too!

Small bit of Banana (4cm length with skin on = approx 40 cals), 1tsp golden syrup (15cal) and few dots squinty cream (25cal) also lovely! Oh and peach slices!! No pic but looks similar to above (I think I need more colour in my food!) 

So - Raspberries and cream (yes I love a bit of squinty cream on my pancakes most mornings):



Sultana and cinnamon (DON'T cook like blueberries - they burn! - and stink out the kitchen as I discovered). Best to soak the sultanas in a little maple syrup - just a teaspoon will do trick to soften about 15 sultanas (PS "they" say maple syrup is one of the best natural sweeteners out there with less sugar rush after effects) 


Then today, on a savoury hunt, I tried a ham slice (32 cal) and some grated low fat mature cheese (15g = 48cals). Bit dry but still tasty and still under 200 cals for a more satisfying fuller option with the added protein. 



Think I'll have my all time favourite of strawberries and cream tomorrow - grocery delivery booked for tonight :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post any helpful tips or suggestions